The best tandem kayaks are chosen after gala research when you have sound knowledge and experience of kayaking. If you are a beginner then also you may invest in a tandem kayak to explore the magic of kayaking together. It’ always fun, and a nice way to do team boating together with your friend or buddy. When you operate a tandem kayak, you actually exercise your ability to do a work in synchronization with another person, which brings a sense of adjustment, cooperating temperament, and responsibility in you. Hence tandem kayaking is not just relax and leisure ride or for fun and enjoyment, but more than that it’s a great way to exercise bonding with a new partner or existing friend.
Things to check for while kayaking
So that you may take full fun of kayaking with the best tandem kayaks, you must buy one by selecting carefully. There are several things to check for in kayaks, which you will know below.
- You are a better candidate and buyer for a tandem kayak if you are already experienced in kayaking. This is because maneuvering a kayak needs some understanding of direction and balance, and experienced rowers can do this well.
- Consider purchasing a light weight tandem kayak, as these boats are too long and heavy normally, and the weight may range up to 100 pounds. It may not be easy for two people to lift and carry the kayak to long distances if it’s that heavy. Hence you should think of plastic may light weight kayaks.
- While trying to find a light weight tandem kayak avoid going for short length ones. That’s because a shorter length means lesser water displacement and hence lesser stability in water. Besides, the distance between the two paddlers is too reduced in shorter tandems to make things little too light and less roomy.
- The best tandem kayaks come with a rudder. And this ensures that you get a proper rhythm while kayaking.
- A shorter tandem kayak if by chance gets filed with water or upturns in water can be difficult to rescue or restore, and hence kayaks with a bigger room inside are better.
Besides following the tips above you must always invest on a kayak carrying trailer to carry the kayak towed by your car wherever you go. This is a much easy and better option than to lift the heavy boat on the roof of the car.
If you are thinking about Kayaking in winter you need to consider a different Kayak than the tandem ones, so make sure you read our other post covering that!